up home page bottom

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ushering the Chinese New Year

As the lunar new year is approaching, I thought I ought to get my act together as well. Kenny Sia's new year resolution is to slim down for his Malaysian Dreamgirl. Although my comment is number 100++, I am the number one to suggest badminton as a good way to reduce weight. See if I can hit top 10 next time. I have no problem with my weight, thanks to good genes, good eating and exercise habits;) I haven't formally made any resolutions. Gotta find a time to do it.

However, as you can see, I have decorated my blog to look nicer. I am still on the learning curve but I am quite happy with myself. 'Sedikit-dikit lama-lama jadi bukit', as the Malay saying goes.




The boar(pig) was pretty well-behaved last year, I think. Not the early part of this year though. It felt more like the year of the bear....for equities market, that is. Sometimes you can even spot the alligator.




Last week was a frenzy as capitulation took place. Who would not panic when you look at charts like this? Okay, it is still year of the boar.



A check on the weather report shows that the temperature now is 53oF (which is about 12oC) here in San Diego.



In Chicago, it is 27oF (or -2.7oC).




Sometimes I just miss the warm climate in Malaysia. When it is cold like this, you really don't feel like going out, don't feel like taking a shower. You take a longer time to warm up for badminton and your shots are usually awful.





Consider myself very lucky if I look at the winter storm now raging in China. It is the worst in 50 years and is blamed for at least 63 deaths, including at least 25 when a bus plunged off a slippery mountain road. Something for us to think about the effects of global warming and the consequences of our actions and inactions.





It is very hard to imagine what these folks have to go through. I already cannot 'tahan' (stand) the bus waiting platform outside the Johor Bahru immigration custom. I remember seeing a pregnant lady trying to get on the bus with another small child. Since it was extremely crowded, she had to pass her child over the people heads to some other person already at the entrance door. It is amazing to see that things like this still exist.



This year will be the year of the rat. It is said to symbolize wealth and prosperity. It is the first of the 12-year cycle of animals which appear in the Chinese zodiac related to the Chinese calendar. Rat is associated with aggression, wealth, charm, and order, yet also associated with death, war, the occult, pestilence, and atrocities.

Well, let's hope that the new year will bring good fortune and happiness to all of us.

0 comments: